In addition to treatment, Excelsior has accredited middle
and senior high schools on its campus with an outstanding, certified
teaching staff. The primary educational focus at Excelsior is to advance
girls' skills to an appropriate age and grade level. Each girl is
required to work toward the completion of her High School Diploma
or G.E.D. Providing and ensuring a proper education is essential in
making the transformation to a fully functioning member of a community.
At Excelsior, girls benefit from newly updated materials and resources, small classroom sizes and individualized instruction. Each young woman's abilities are measured by area of study, so that she can benefit from the proper level of instruction and catch up on school credits to graduate.
Using the strength-based care model, Excelsior's state certified teaching staff creates an individualized curriculum tailored to the student's academic level in each subject, building her confidence and success in school through structured instruction, confidence-building and positive reinforcement.
Small classroom sizes, individualized instruction, tutoring, up-to-date resources and uniform requirements create a highly structured, positive and safe environment for girls to meet their goals. Excelsior's nationally accredited middle and high school is designed to help students catch up on credits and ultimately graduate with the tools they need to enter society and be successful.
- Each student works with an Educational Diagnostician to create a school schedule that supports her Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Personal Learning Plan (PLP).
- Classes cover core subject areas (English, Math, Science, Social Studies), as well as Art, Music, Physical Education and variety of elective classes (i.e.; Women's Studies, Computers Applications, etc.).
- Vocational Training and General Educational Development (GED) preparation is available to students.
- Vocational training includes: culinary arts, a fully licensed cosmetology program and graphic arts
- Career Planning and Job-Seeking skills are also emphasized.
- Each student will have a specific Behavior Management Plan created to address counter-productive behaviors to the school setting.
- Excelsior's school works with providers and school districts to provide additional educational support such as speech and language therapy.